Dedicated to PA Audiologists.

Thank you to our Recent Donors for contributing to our PAC FUND!!
Joseph Motzko           Karen Lemme           Jill Knecht           Kylie Hill           Nicole Balliet           Virginia Grim           Linda Hartman           Janelle Burdette           Sherman Lord           Nicole Kwak           Judy Cruez           Natasha Gaston           Susan Parr           Emma Alscher           Jordan Hannold           Jenna Loffredo           Lauren Echkart           Taylor Hill           Rebecca Penaranda           Emily Frederick           Susan Good           Michele Chapman           Lynne Davis           Daniel Nackley           Maryann McCullough Nikander           Bre Myers           Jonette Owen           Catherine Marino           James Shafer           Kamal Elliot           Jim Zeiger           Robert Petruso II          

When you or a loved one experiences a hearing problem, it can stress any relationship. As a potential consumer of hearing health care services we would like you to make informed choices. The following FAQs are the ones most asked by people with hearing loss. The Links section also contains several consumer-based hearing health-care web sites.

  1. What is an audiologist?
  2. Why do I need and should see an audiologist?
  3. How do I know if I have a hearing problem?
  4. How do I get more information about hearing and hearing loss?
  5. How do I get information about hearing aids?
  6. How do I find an audiologist? Easy, you can use our Find an Audiologist section.
  7. How can I ask an audiologist a question? Easy, use the Contact Us section and we will try to help you.

What is an audiologist?

Audiologists are the only professionals who are university trained and licensed to identify, evaluate, diagnose, and treat audiological disorders of hearing. Audiologists may be found practicing in Private Audiology Offices, Hospitals, Medical Practices, Universities, Private and Public Agencies and Public Schools.

All individuals with suspected hearing loss require audiological hearing tests to determine the type, degree, and cause of the hearing impairment. Managed care companies are realizing that efficient cost-effective hearing health care requires that primary care physicians refer patients directly to audiologists to determine whether rehabilitation or medical/surgical treatment is indicated. This occurs because fewer than 20% of all individuals with hearing loss require medical or surgical treatment. Rehabilitation treatment consists primarily of the design, selection, and fitting of hearing aids and/or assistive listening and altering devices, which is usually completed in the audiology office.

The services provided by audiologists include:

  • Comprehensive Audiological Evaluations including tests of hearing sensitivity, speech understanding, middle ear function, and inner ear and auditory nerve function.
  • Diagnostic Tests for Balance/Dizziness Disorders.
  • Design, selection, and fitting of hearing aids and/or assistive listening and alerting devices.
  • Design, selection, installation, and monitoring of classroom amplification systems.
  • Hearing conservation programs for industry
  • Rehabilitation therapy which might include strategies to improve aided and unaided hearing, lip-reading, and sign-language.

Why do I need and should see an audiologist?

Audiologists hold a master’s or doctoral degree from an accredited university with special training in the prevention, identification, assessment, and the rehabilitation of persons with hearing impairments. In Pennsylvania, audiologists are licensed to practice audiology by the Pennsylvania Department of State, Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs. Audiologists are required to complete a full-time internship and pass a demanding national comprehensive examination. By virtue of their graduate education, professional certification, and licensure, audiologists are the most qualified professionals to perform hearing tests, fit hearing aids and assistive listening and alerting devices, provide rehabilitative services, and refer patients for medical treatment. 

How do I know if I have a hearing problem?

Signs of Hearing Loss

 Speech & other sounds are muffled or unclear
 Asking others to speak more slowly and clearly
 Difficulty hearing high-pitched sounds
 Asking someone to speak louder and repeat what they said
 Difficulty understanding conversation when you are in a noisy place
 Turning up the volume on the television or radio
 Difficulty understanding speech over the phone
 Ringing in the ears
 Trouble distinguishing speech consonants (e.g. the difference between s & f, between p & t, between sh & th)
 Hypersensitivity to certain sounds

How do I get more information about hearing aids?

Contact an audiologist or see the links below.

More Resources:

American Academy of Audiology

American Tinnitus Association

Audiology Awareness

Better Hearing Institute

Information about Hearing and Hearing Aids

Information from the FDA About Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids

National Institute of Health about Hearing, Ear Infections and Deafness

Deafness Research Foundation

Forms and Classifications of Hearing Loss

Links to websites for parents:

Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids

Hearing Loss Association of America (Self Help for Hard of Hearing)

HLAA (SHHH) Chapters in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Academy of Audiology
908 North Second Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102
Phone: (717) 236-2050 | Fax: (717) 236-2046

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software